Thursday, December 11, 2008

Midnight Meander


Sometimes it’s not a good thing to be up wandering around in the middle of the night. It’s okay now that I’m older but as a kid, not so much.

My earliest memory of prowling and seeing something I shouldn’t have was the Christmas Eve I was four. I stumbled across my parents building my brother’s train set, the one from Santa. They assembled the whole thing, tracks, buildings, trees and all without noticing that I was sitting behind them, watching the entire time.

I’ll never forget them backpedalling, trying to convince me they were Santa’s helpers and they were just setting it up for him because he was so busy. Nope, didn’t fall for that one. I don’t remember how long it took for them to give up and admit there really was no Santa but when they finally did it was only with a promise that I wouldn’t reveal that little tidbit to anyone. Not my brother, not my grandparents, not my friends or theirs, no one.

I promised. And then I spent the next three years pretending. Yeah, imagine that.

4 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

The year my sis and I snooped and found all our presents was the year we discovered no Santa. Christmas morning was so boring, since we already knew what we were getting, we vowed never to snoop again!

Anny Cook said...

I found my bride doll from Santa in the back seat of the car. It was huge so noooo way to hide it!

Unknown said...

I was a good child and did not meander. I am still goodly and well behaved today

Regina Carlysle said...

I never wandered around at night except when my sister started sleepwalking. I would hear her and get up to watch her rearranging the furniture. I'd pat her and say...come back to bed,honey.