Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mustard Anyone?



I read a new catalog today, Raye’s Mustard. All they sell is mustard. Twelve pages of every flavor imaginable. Things you’d never expect like blueberry and maple horseradish.

Each blurb contains a serving suggestion ranging from the standard pretzels to seafood and chicken salad to the atypical apples. There’s a winter garden variety that boasts dill, garlic, celery and winter herbs. Um, what are winter herbs exactly? Flavors like garlic honey wine are recommended as a base for salad dressing. Okay, that I can see.

One mustard that these people have been making since they began back in 1900 is Down East Schooner. It’s the winner of the Napa Valley World-Wide Mustard Competition’s gold medal for world’s best classic yellow mustard. Wow, now I’m impressed. Did you know about this shindig? Perhaps we should attend next year.

Raye’s also makes select series mustards for various locals around Maine. In this line you’ll find Sea Dog Beer mustard, made with Sea Dog Brewery’s Windjammer Blonde Ale and Moose-a-maquoody Molasses, a must for New England’s traditional Saturday night beans and franks.

Mustards are available in small jars from 4 ounces all the way up to full gallon containers. Keep in mind I was reading the gift catalog. There’s not one person I’ve ever met who individually needs a gallon of mustard no matter what flavor it is.

Oh one last thing of note and then I’ll leave you to your day. Mustard Truffles. Need I say more?

4 comments:

Anny Cook said...

Aren't gift catalogs fascinating? I read a clothing catalog the other day that offered vibrators... yes THOSE kind of vibrators... along with support hose. Excellent.

Unknown said...

Uh huh...

Molly Daniels said...

There are 3 kinds of mustard in my book: Regular yellow, Honey, and Dijon. No others may appear in my kitchen.

Regina Carlysle said...

Mustard TRUFFLES???? EWWWWW.