Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm Old


Yesterday was my great aunt’s birthday. She’s 94, still living on her own, still taking on the world. Amazing. I don’t know how she does it. Unfortunately there was no cake but we did go out for a very nice lunch at Olive Garden, her choice.

We were chatting and she told me how she remembers electricity being installed in her house when she was a child. She remembers life before central heating, getting the first coal furnace then switching over to oil. Heating water on the stove for her bath. Can you imagine all the other things that have changed in her lifetime?

Talking to her made me wonder what else will change for me. I remember getting the first color TV to watch the five channels we got, six depending on the weather. I remember replacing our rotary telephone with a push button one. Arcades without digital games. What a big deal Polaroid cameras were. Manual car windows. Not needing to dial the area code when you're calling within it. Life without computers and cell phones.

How about you? What’s the biggest new thing you’ve experienced?

1 comment:

Molly Daniels said...

When my great-grandmother hit 94, my daughter 'insisted' Grandma needed a Little Mermaid cake. She loved it!

Unfortunately that same year, we had to move her into an assisted living facility. She was born in 1902, so you can imagine the changes in HER lifetime!

Biggest in mine? Probably computers...cell phones...and having to dial that damn area code all the time...