Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It's That Time Again


The time of year when everyone’s fancy turns to kites. What? Not what you were expecting. Well it should be.

I received my Into the Wind catalog today and will spend several hours over the next few days happily paging through it, drooling over all the fantastic kites contained within. I want them all!

I didn’t grow up in a kite flying family though they’ve always fascinated me. I used to attempt to make my own out of sticks and newspaper. Never once managed to get one off the ground before it was destroyed. Yeah, they were very pathetic I must admit.

Then, about 20 years ago, I stumbled across an Into the Wind catalog. I purchased myself a Hata kite. Not very big but they come in the prettiest selection of colors. More importantly they are extremely easy to fly. All you need to do is give them a toss and off they go soaring.

And the small size has the added advantage being no trouble to store in your car so you can hop out and fly them on any nice day. Like say, oh this Friday perhaps. It’s supposed to be 60 and sunny here. I was looking today and there’s a parking lot close to where I work without any wires crossing it. Yep, you know what I’ll be doing at lunch.

In the meantime, I think a viewing of Mary Poppins is in order, to set the mood.

No comments: