Monday, July 27, 2009

All Over


And I’m sad.

The Tour de France ended yesterday. The overall winner, Alberto Contador, though to me, that isn’t really important. Oh sure, I enjoy the competitive aspects of the race. And there are plenty of categories to compete for as well as tiny victories along the way throughout most stages. Yes, it amazes me that after 21 days of racing and over 82 hours of riding, the top ten finishers are separated by less than 15 minutes.

But again, that’s not the part I pay the most attention to. To me, it’s the race itself. The sheer distance and challenges it presents. The tradition. The unwritten rules. The strategy. Contador won. His teammate, Lance Armstrong was third, coming back from a few years’ break. But don’t think, just because of that, Armstrong’s former health issues and the age difference that it was easy for Contador. He has issues of his own. He suffered an aneurysm during a race five years ago. His surgery was successful and, after eight months, he was up and racing again. This year’s Tour victory was his second. He won his first in 2007. Along with plenty of other events as well.

Many of the riders have stories too, if you bother to check. That’s one of the things that fascinates me. And that this race is just one in many that most of them compete in during the season. It’s just the rest aren’t as popular so you never hear about the other grueling miles they cover.

Something else that ended a few days ago is Torchwood. Yes, believe it or not, I do actually watch something current. Last week there was a five night mini series in which the remaining members of Torchwood saved the world yet again, though destroyed themselves. Well, perhaps they left an opening for the show to come back but it’s doubtful and even if it does it will take a long time. By then, I probably will have gotten rid of my TV and won’t know about it anyway. If you hear about it beginning again, please let me know.

2 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

I've gotten hooked on Eureka:)

Anny Cook said...

Warehouse 13. Only three episodes on hulu.com. ;(