Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Bored?


So yesterday I was chatting with a friend and I made a comment about mesmerizing a chicken. Poor guy had no idea what I was talking about so I had to explain.

Here’s what you do. First, catch a chicken. Nope, that was never my part. I don’t get any closer to live chickens than absolutely necessary. Hold the chicken with its beak on the ground until it settles down. Calm down. We never hurt any chickens. Hold them gently and they will relax.

Second, you need something to draw with. Yep, drawing the line was what I did. Plain white chalk works best because it’s easiest for the chicken to see although a stick in dry dirt will sometimes work too.

Once the chicken is settled, draw a straight line extending away from its beak. About three feet or so. Let go and the chicken will stay put indefinitely until something disturbs it, usually us because you can only watch a chicken lie there for so long before getting bored.

What can I say? I grew up in the middle of nowhere and some days it was hard to find ways to entertain ourselves. Oh wait. Maybe the chicken was just as bored and we were providing entertainment for it.

2 comments:

Anny Cook said...

Now I admit that this is something I've never heard of and I'm itching to try it. Why did you put this in my mind????

Anonymous said...

Okay, see, Jake will love to do this with out chicks once they grow up! lol I noticed they are actually quite observant little ladies, so this doesn't surprise me.
:}