Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I Hate Summer


I went to see my favorite neurologist last Friday. It’s summer so I always have to check in and let him know that I’m still alive. While I was there he told me about a new class of drug that will be available to help prevent migraines. Unfortunately it’s still in the FDA approval stage so it won’t be available until next year at the earliest.

He did give me something else to try for major pain once a headache hits. Marginal. Anybody have any experience with it? Please let me know if you do. It came with vey strict instructions, something I don’t usually get. My doc told me to never ever under any circumstances mix it with anything else because, and I quote, “It will kill me.” Yeah, he really said that. We’ve never discussed mixing meds before, and yes, I do it all the time though I haven’t mentioned that to him. I guess he knows when it hurts enough you take whatever is on hand to try and stop it.

So last weekend I had the first really awful migraine I’ve had in a long time. The weather had been cooperating so nicely this summer but now it’s hot and humid and it won. I instantly took the little meds to try to head it off. Didn’t work. But then I couldn’t try the new big meds because, you got it, it will kill me. Kind of a conundrum, isn’t it? Take the small stuff to maybe stop it instantly or let it develop into a lot of pain and then take the strong stuff. I ended up mixing the things I had previously with some relief but terrible nightmares where I couldn’t determine if the things were really happening or not.

Let me tell you, migraines just aren’t any fun at all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Let me try this again. Damn, I hate that!

I feel so awful for you, Barb, because I know people who suffer migraines as well, and the pain can be more than debilitating.

Then, the medication issue is terrible. I hope something works for you, and soon.

Hugs,
TT

Unknown said...

Barb, I suffer from migraines and now exactly how you feel. Sad thing is I haven't found a bigger med that doesn't make mine WORSE! I've been in the ER numerous times to reverse the added pain. So if you get around to taking the new med, I'd be curious if it works. Good Luck.

Molly Daniels said...

Hugs, sweetie:) Wish there was some instant cure for you.