Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Shine


Yesterday someone who knows me well shared something incredibly powerful and thought provoking with me. Something so fitting for him as well as me that I feel I have to share it with you too. Please, pass it on. It just might make difference in an age that could sorely use it.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ~Marianne Williamson

Go back and read it again please. It’s okay. I’ll wait.

Now think about all the times in your life you may have reigned yourself in for whatever reason, all the times you held a brilliant part of yourself back, all the times you were less than your most amazing self. As I see it, this throws everything into a different perspective. What if we’d let ourselves shine instead? Yeah, I can see you all nodding along with me. Hell of a thought, isn’t it?

People feed off of each other’s misery all the time. What say you we gorge ourselves on one another’s greatness for a change? Can you imagine how spectacular we could all become? I can, and as of now, I’m doing just that. I’m going to strive to be my best and most wonderful me at all times. No more hiding. Don’t be afraid. Join me, please and let’s see just how far we can all go.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barb,

This is so beautiful, and so damn true. Fear of failure also keeps me from rushing ahead, I think. We all makes those excuses, but I'll meet your challenge, and walk with you into a world where we hold nothing back!
Hugs

Ray said...

What a different wholesome attitude.

Ray

Fran Lee said...

Whooaa...now that I think about it, that does happen a lot to us. I used to just back off and keep my mouth shut when I knew I had the right idea in meetings or in conferences. I was shot down so many times by those who called me a "know-it-all", I just flew under the radar. But now you've made me realize...I AM a know-it-all! Hot damn! But I won't flaunt it. Promise. ;)

barbara huffert said...

Thanks for stopping by. I read this yesterday and thought, wow, how right she is. I'm glad you read it too. Let's go make a difference!

Kenzie Michaels said...

"This little light of mine...
I'm gonna let it shine..."

Yeah baby! Life is too precious for us to hold ourselves back 'waiting for the right moment'. Carpe Diem...Seize the Day! (Hope I spelled that right...)

Anny Cook said...

Excellent powerful blog. Thank you.

Ava Rose Johnson said...

I'm going to try and keep that message in my mind for as long as I can. Great post!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful blog, Barb. Thanks for sharing this. I read it three times already. I must copy this and hang it near my computer for times seem tough.

Marianne Stephens said...

The older I get, the more I think I should say/do what I please and stop holding back. As a mother and wife, I always figured my family's needs were more important than mine, and I'd step back so they could "shine". Heck. If I don't "do my thing" now, I'll be too old to remember what it is I want to do and how to do it!

Katalina said...

Beautiful blog Barbara! Thank you for the powerful reminder...
XXOO Kat

jean hart stewart said...

weLove the blog, but the fear of acting conceited, or rather being though conceited is a powerful one. Many people seem to resent success in any field...But these are words of power we all should ponder

Cerise DeLand said...

Yep. I had an agent who used to say, look up. Never look down.
Good advice.
Esp. in the publishing biz!
But any art takes a superior neuro-connection to the fantasy of delight.
Tough to do every day.
But hey, that's what Renior, Da Vinci, Shakespeare and all those dudes KNEW.

Bronwyn Green said...

Fantastic message and blog. Thanks for the reminder, Barb - not surprisingly, this is exactly what I needed to see today. Syncronicity at work. Shine on, Barb. :)