Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Have You Heard?


It’s time to mess with pennies. Bad enough almost all our other money has changed so I can’t tell if it’s real or not, now they’ve decided to change the backs of pennies. To four different designs and for a good cause. It’s in honor of the two-hundredth anniversary of Lincoln’s birth.

I have no problem with commemorating the event. The man did play a very important role in our nation’s history. But really, is it necessary to mess with coins that already cost more to mint than they’re worth?

Please do something for me, if you would, over the next few weeks if you happen to be someplace with a few kids. Ask them what’s currently on the back of a penny. See how many of them know that now. Let me know what answers you get.

I hate to say it but I strongly suspect the only people who are truly interested in this one are the coin collectors in the world. Me? It’ll be like when I got one of the new nickels last year and thought it was defective.

Any thoughts?

8 comments:

J.J. Hebert said...

My thought: Pennies are worthless.

Unknown said...

Can't remember your pennies but I do recall your notes are really bland. They all look the same. How do you tell 'em apart in a rush?

barbara huffert said...

We've added splashes of color so they're not anymore. Same splashes to all of them so you still can't tell them apart in a rush though. Except ones. Haven't messed with them yet. Or dimes. I'm sure that's comeing.

barbara huffert said...

J.J., I thought the plan was to phaze out pennies years ago. What happened to that one?

Molly Daniels said...

NO! Not the penny! The nickels will be next! Arrgghhh!

Actually, I'm pretty sure we're on our way to making currency obsolete. Everything will be done via credit/debit cards.

My kids enthusiastically collected the state quarters, and then laughed at me when I started hanging onto my gold dollars and the nickels. So now I gotta start watching my pennies? Let me know when they redesign the dimes...

Anonymous said...

They always want to mess with the penny. Whether it's to take it off the market or change it. ack.

Gonna try your suggestion and will let you know.

Regina Carlysle said...

I think pennies should be completely eliminated. Think I have about 200 of the worthless things in my purse right now. Yep. Phaze em OUT.

Molly Daniels said...

Send em my way:) I roll 'em and take them to the bank. In fact, we've got nearly a coffee can full. When it reaches the top, we roll the coins and the kids get a small shopping spree.