Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Harsh Reminder


I was driving home tonight and passed the Salvation Army food distribution location. There’s always a few stragglers every month. More lately than there had been. By the time I’m going by they’re usually closing up. Only tonight, there was still a line stretched down the block and around the corner full of people hoping to gather the makings of a Thanksgiving dinner.

The street is one with a light in the middle of the block. Red today so I took a moment and looked, honestly looked at the faces of those waiting. I wasn’t surprised by what I saw. Imagine the worst desolate holiday movie you’ve ever seen. This was worse and it broke my heart.

I do what I can to help where I can. All year round, not just on holidays because, believe it or not, people are hungry on days other than holidays. As are their children and their pets. This year there are more people out of work and struggling than ever so if you have a little extra, please share it. Either with friends, neighbors, acquaintances who have less or strangers by way of a local charity. Every little bit helps.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I work for a charity. A lot more people help the poor during the holidays but people are hungry and needy all year long.