Friday, October 3, 2008

I Feel Slighted


Reading is having a month long literary celebration and I was not invited to participate along with all the other local authors and poets. At first I thought it was because there was absolutely no why for the organizers to know of my existence. Then I went to their website to find out more about the whole thing and low and behold several of them are acquaintances of my mother.

Perhaps I’m paranoid, thinking that she called and begged, no, more likely bribed them to exclude me. After all, it’s a fairly new organization and they do new contributors. But there’s a little piece of my mind that continues to hear her asking what she did to deserve a daughter like me who writes what I do. One the other hand I could have been right in the first place, thinking they don’t know I’m here.

I checked the event calendar and noticed they have a ghost story and tour of a local mansion at what is now Nolde State Forest this Sunday. It’s a place my mother, thanks to my grandmother’s second husband, was able to socialize during her high school years. Yes, she was one of the prissy crowd growing up. Perhaps that’s why she disapproves of me so much. There’s more of her mother in me than she’s comfortable with. My grandmother, now there’s a woman for you. But that’s a different blog.

Anyway, I always did want to see the inside of that place so perhaps I’ll go and stick around to introduce myself as a local author afterwards. Maybe that way I can be included next year. It would give me plenty of time to tell everyone I know locally to come out and support such a good cause. I’m sure my mother will come out to any event I might be involved it. She’ll bring all her friends too!




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Is inclusion such a great thing? Do you want to be like everyone else? You are unique

barbara huffert said...

No, I just want to publically annoy my mother today.

Regina Carlysle said...

If you want to annoy your mom, you and she should go together. Take some cards and introduce yourself as an erotic romance writer to everyone...in her presence. That's what I would do.

My mom treats me the same. She loves me but is ashamed.

I went to a local author thing last year and it was a NIGHTMARE. I realized I didn't like these people at all. This year I passed but I know what you're thinking. It pisses you off to, perhaps, have all of this decided by someone else instead of yourself.

Molly Daniels said...

By all means go and introduce yourself as a local author! You have several books out, and one in print. Next year, maybe more! So next year, enjoy yourself:)

The people I've met the last couple of times are more interested in Christian inspy, but that was AFTER I told them about my series. And some looked at the 'Bound Brits' title and their voices dropped as they asked if it was a little spicier:) A few even picked it up to read the back!

Sandra Cox said...

So did you go? And if so, how was it?