Monday, October 27, 2008

I Was Bad


But in my defense I was justified.

When I first moved to Reading the bar on my corner was a real dive. The kind only the regulars and those on a dare went to. I won’t tell you which I was. Back then there was no parking lot so we who lived in the block had to jockey for spaces with the regulars. Let me tell you it was damn annoying, especially in bad weather.

I was like everyone else when it snowed. I shoveled my space and put something in it to save it for me even though it was technically illegal. Hey, I’m tired at the end of the day. The last thing I want to do is hunt for a parking space and then hike however many blocks home from wherever it is.

The first winter I remember one particularly deep snow. Yes, it actually snowed for real back then. I came home just as one of the regulars was parking in my space. My street is narrow. There’s parking on both sides and only one lane of traffic. I got out and yelled at him to move his car. Guess what? He laughed at me. That’s right. He laughed at me and proceeded into the bar.

Wrong thing to do. I left my car where it was and went inside to change my clothes. I couldn’t get away with that now since Reading’s cracked down on double-parkers. They’ve finally figured out what an excellent source of income that is so you now get a fine within minutes. But I’m getting sidetracked.

So I was changed and back out in the street. With my trusted snow shovel in hand. Figure it out yet? No? I was in the process of shoveling the snow I had removed back into the space, packing it tightly around the offender’s tires and up along the driver’s side door when some of the other regulars who lived within walking distance arrived. Of course they recognized the car and paused to watch. Finally one of them asked what I was doing. I very calmly explained that as I saw it I shoveled the snow out of the space so I could therefore shovel it back in if I chose to.

Within half a minute the car owner was out to move his vehicle, apologizing profusely as he went. And do you know what? I never had any trouble after that. Can’t imagine why, can you?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep - you is bad but I enjoy that about you

Anny Cook said...

Oh girl you are sooooo bad. I like it!

Molly Daniels said...

I love it! Good for you!

Regina Carlysle said...

BAAAAAAD Barb! SNicker. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Barb you are AWESOME! You have the kind of bravery that is rare to find. Good for you and holy COW I wish I could have seen that.

Just for laughs... your Word Verificiation is Kweird. Most appropriate.