Sunday, October 5, 2008

Uh Oh

It seems my cleaning frenzy sent my characters into hiding yesterday. I think they were afraid I'd figure out some way to put them to work otherwise. Must have been all that racket I was making in combination with the various fumes from the cleaning solutions. All that had the cats cowering in the attic too. Couldn't possibly have been the repeated threats to tie dust rags to their tails if they didn't get out of my way. Nah, couldn't have been that.

I tried asking my characters to come back nicely last night. I tried asking again this morning as I was hiding out on the porch, staying out of the way as Harry and Quinn repaved the steps with cat fur by racing up and down as fast as they could multiple times.

Neither worked so now I'm pulling out all the stops. I'm watching Holiday. It's the Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn movie from before Philadelphia Story. Ever see it? Entertaining little movie, doesn't take much thought, about the differences between the classes. Grant plays a working man who falls for an heiress, Hepburn's sister, who wants him to fit into the position she has all picked out for him in daddy's company. He's a dreamer. Hepburn is the black sheep in the family, also a dreamer. Yes, you guessed it. After lots of hard feelings and turmoil they end up going off together. It's worth seeing if you never have. Kind of bittersweet if you're in a mood when you watch it. Add in the overbearing, controlling father who never listens to anyone but himself and the brother who deals with everything by drinking and it's perfect for coaxing wayward characters back out of hiding.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be immersed in something new. Oh, for those of you who are wondering, I skipped the literary festivities for this weekend. Annoying my mother wasn't worth putting on real clothes. I still have the rest of the month to accomplish that.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Grant/Hepburn movies and Philadephia Story is one of my faves...hmmm...why have I not seen Holiday? Must rectify this

Anonymous said...

Excellent reminder for me to get back to work. I don't have the useful excuse of cleaning though.

Regina Carlysle said...

I haven't seen Holiday either. Loved them together in Philadelphia Story and Bringing up Baby.

House Cleaning? May I say...YUCK???

Regina Carlysle said...

Oh. Forgot. I still wish you'd gone to the literary thing.