Wednesday, October 22, 2008

October 22


Do you know what today is? October 22. Yes, I know. I just told you that. In addition to that.

It’s my first real boyfriend’s birthday. We started going together in sixth grade. Our big romance at the time consisted of holding hands at lunch. We didn’t really talk. I had my friends to the side of me and he had his to the other side of him. You remember how it was.

We went to our first dance together. No, of course we didn’t dance. We had our first kiss together. It was the most innocent peck you can imagine. But we stayed together long enough to also have our first real kiss together too. Sigh. He was a true sweetheart.

I haven’t seen him since two years after high school graduation and that was just across the street to wave hello, not even to speak. After we broke up for the final time, my doing, he started dating a friend of mine. I was then no longer permitted to be part of the group. I suspect she was slightly paranoid that we might get back yet again. They got married after college and I’ve heard they have some kids though I can’t tell you more than that.

His wife was a class officer so when it was time for reunions she was involved. I don’t go. The only person from high school I ever see intentionally is my former neighbor. I didn’t much bother with many of those people then so I see no need to now. I don’t know what possessed me but one time, I think it may have been the 20th RSVP, I declined but added a PS to wish my former beau a happy birthday since I sent in my response the week of October 22nd. I later heard from someone who I do occasionally bump into that my doing that caused all sorts of problems. Oops. Apparently he had remembered when my birthday was that August and happened to mention it so naturally his wife assumed we’d been secretly meeting all those years. Seems he was in the dog house for quite some time all because I was nice enough to send some harmless birthday greeting to someone I hadn’t seen for over half my life. Talk about misplaced paranoia!

4 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Yeah; my HS sweetheart and I kept in touch until he married the first time. And at the last reunion, others were 'warning' his new wife about me, but she's a smart lady and knew there wasn't a problem...just people being idiotic. Can't wait to see what happens in another 5 years!

Regina Carlysle said...

Did this happen in a small town? It sounds so small townish, doesn't it? She must be really insecure.

Hated High School. Now college was another matter.

Unknown said...

as always a thoughtful blog that I have no idea what to say but I think you do that on purpose

Unknown said...

October 22nd is my dad's birthday and tomorrow, October 23rd is my granddaughter's birthday.