Sunday, June 15, 2008

Befriend Me at Your Own Risk


Two days ago, my friend Neeley moved back into the dorms. For the next year she's going to be working as a GA. Yesterday, she sauntered off to the shower wearing just her towel and locked herself out of her room. She had to knock on the dorm manager's door and ask him to go for the master key. Fortunately, or maybe not, they've been friends for years. Good in that he was so willing to drop everything in order to help her, not so good in that she'll never live this one down. Thank goodness she has a tremendous sense of humor. Otherwise I never would have heard about it.

Years ago I had a friend, we'll call him John, who was a salesman. At times, he travelled a lot. He used to be very sweet, calling when he was on the road, just to say hi.

I remember one trip when he was in a slightly odd hotel. It was in two parts, one on either side of the street. One morning he opened his door to get the complimentary newspaper. In his boxers. Problem was the paper was a bit too far from the door for him to reach without stepping into the hall and the door was weighted to close on its own. See where this is going? Being the polite southern gentleman that he was, he did not to tap on the neighboring door since it was very early in the morning. Now remember how I mentioned the hotel was in two parts? His room was not in the half with the lobby. And, although it was a fairly large hotel, there weren't house phones on each floor. Nope, the only one was on the first floor, just inside the exterior door. At the wall of windows. It may have been early but it was a big city where of course there's always someone around. Can't you just picture him in his red plaid boxers, on the phone, explaining to the desk clerk that he needed someone to come unlock his door and then riding up in the elevator with the staff member sent to assist him while attempting to maintain his modesty with the newspaper? As you might guess, he was a bit annoyed with me when I couldn't stop laughing long enough to make the sympathetic noises he was hoping for when he called. Unlike Neeley, John did not think it was the least bit funny.

Hm, I seem to have the tendency to expose portions of me at random and I have friends who end up running around sans clothes though not intentionally. Is it just me or does it seem like there is a pattern developing here?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I think you subconsciously want to be a stripper.

Unknown said...

Yes, I think you subconsciously want to be a stripper.

Unknown said...

hmmm...two comments - spooky...

barbara huffert said...

Um, I did strip once...but that's for another blog.

Unknown said...

Really? Do tell....

Molly Daniels said...

LOL:) Too funny! I'll tell you my 'Northern Exposure' story tomorrow...