Friday, June 6, 2008

Random Friday

Had the day off in order to do various errands that can't be accomplished after hours. Oh okay yes, I suppose they could be but it sounded like a good reason for taking a vacation day.

I confirmed something I've suspected for some time now. I can't afford to live. *sigh* Not much left to cut out but I'm sure I'll come up with something. I shouldn't be so dramatic. I'm a lot better off than most of the world so I have no call to complain. I have a home, not the fanciest and definitely not in the best neighborhood but it's sturdy and it's all mine. I don't share it with 23 various and assorted extended family members, all depending on me to keep them fed and sheltered. I have limitless books so I'll never be at a loss for entertainment. I figured it out once and at the pace of reading five books a week I'd have to live to be at least 127 in order to finish them all. And that was several years and many new books ago. Also it was before I started being such a slacker as far as reading goes. I am pleased to report that I'm half way through The Kite Runner. Maybe this'll get me back on track since I am enjoying the act of reading again. I also have a steady job with adequate health insurance, a decent savings plan, and a better than average amount of vacation. Yes, I really do need to suck it up and quit whining over not having anything leftover to play with.

My other errand was a much needed visit to the eye doctor. Still no contacts for me. I had cornea problems a while ago so there will never again be contacts for me. Hiss, spew - I ordered my first pair of progressive lenses. Isn't that a nicer word than bifocals? Not! They're not fooling anyone with it either. I'm now officially getting old, needing them. Another sign of that is the baby cataracts forming in both eyes. The doc says no need to be concerned for now. I have at least 15 years before we have to start to consider dealing with them. Oh goody, something to look forward to. I was stubborn and determined so I drove myself home after having eyedrops. Ever wear sunglasses on top of glasses? Not an easy trick but it's the only way I could see to get home. Well that and closing one eye at a time because it was too bright with both of them open.

I had my vicarious exercise with Neeley when I got home. She was hiking back from a physics midterm while I was semi-watching a show on the food network. Something about diners, drive-ins, and dives. Today's focus was burgers. One in particular caught my attention. Ground steak formed into patties, fried with onions, cheese melted on top, lettuce. Sounds good so far, doesn't it? I thought so too until they got to the last step of assembling it. Do you want to guess what they used to hold it all together? You never will so I'll tell you...peanut butter toast. Yes, that's correct...peanut butter toast. As someone who would rather eat smelly sweatsocks than peanut butter this sounds like the least appetizing thing ever. The diner owner said people either love it or hate it. I hate it without even needing to taste one and the show's host didn't much like it either. Neeley, on the other hand, is one of those who eats peanut butter straight from the jar so of course she's planning on trying one.

97 here tomorrow. Where are those cabana boys with the fans when you need one? Anyone have a spare you can send over for the next three months? I promise to return him with a smile.

5 comments:

jk said...

I know someone that eats peanut butter, ketchup and turkey sandwiches. How is that for gross?

barbara huffert said...

Yuck, yuck and yuck! I don't like any of the three individually. I can't imagine combining them but I am glad to know you're still out there.

Unknown said...

I only wear specs for the computer so far. I expect I will have to wear them full time eventually...doesn't bother me. That's life. I doubt I would ever want to stuff around with contact lenses.

As for living, you do what you have to don't you? People have been getting by since the dawn of man and will be long after we have gone.

I am going to be renovating this weekend so please use that physical activity in your virtual excercise regime.

Regina Carlysle said...

Sending Carlos and Raoul, the cabana boys over to your place. They fix great margaritas and weild those palm fronds like pros.

I had lasik a few years ago and OMG...wonderful. I still need PEEPERS for up close work though.

Yuck on peanut butter hamburgers. PUKE. Great post Barb! I'm gonna stop by more often.

anny cook said...

Tried contacts. Ick. Now wear two pair. One for driving/walking/etc. The other for reading/computer. Sounds annoying, but really isn't. And I don't have to deal with the tilting the head this way or that to focus.