Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Easily Entertained


Do you remember the Maxwell House commercial? The little song that was played as the coffee dripped? I met an individual today whose claim to fame was being able to perform that ditty by hitting his throat with a pencil while opening and closing his mouth to form the various tones. It’s a skill he developed back in junior high school and one he still prides himself on. He’s 56.

I don’t know why he felt the need to share that with me. I thought it best not to ask. I did, however, enquire as to whether he could perform anything else. His response was that he had never really tried. Of course, since I asked, he had to. Then he added a second pencil in the other hand. That confused things and he kept hitting himself when he didn’t really want to.

By the time he wandered off, his throat was red like someone had been beating on him. Well, I guess technically, someone had. He left with instructions to go home and practice and then report back with his progress. And you know what? I bet he really will.

1 comment:

Anny Cook said...

Everyone needs a hobby... at least his is inexpensive.