Tuesday, August 4, 2009

How Odd


As you know I was roaming around town the other day. While I was out and about, I stumbled across two things that made me wonder.

The first was this ram. He’s in a deserted office in a building that hasn’t been in use in years. I looked and there was nothing else of note left over. Just the ram and the flag. There’s no indication of what sort of industry used to occupy this space but I really can’t imagine knowing that would help the ram to make sense. I also wondered why they didn’t take him with them when they left. Unless his presence is somehow magical and keeps the building from being vandalized. Other than the cracked window and a little graffiti it seems fine so perhaps that’s it.

The other was this gorilla who was strung up in what appeared to be a tire business yard. Although I’m not entirely sure it was a business because there weren’t any signs, just lots and lots of tires. It might be one of those places that everyone just knows about so they don't need to advertize. There were people milling about but I really didn’t feel it would be a good idea to question them, judging by the looks I was getting. There was also a huge stuffed chicken on a stool but it was inside the fence with his back to me and there wasn’t an easy way to take a picture of him for you. I bet there is a story behind these critters. Maybe I’ll go back one day when there is less of a crowd and ask.

So what about you? Ever wander around your neighborhood and see what odd stuff you can find? If not, it’s time to start. Then you can come back and tell us about it.

2 comments:

Anny Cook said...

No gorillas, rams, or chickens of note. I'll check for other species...

Regina Carlysle said...

I always notice that kind of stuff. In our downtown area, there was a huge dinosaur sculpture, a promo for a children's book. He was wearing a baseball cap and was holding an actual VW BUG...same color as your Howie. It was so clever the whole town pitched a fit when the city wanted him removed. Now he has a new "home" but I'm not exactly sure where it is.