Saturday, August 22, 2009

Pardon the Interruption


Sorry but reality intruded in a harsh way today and I need to ramble. Years ago I had a friend, an adopted niece I cared a great deal about. She was, is a sweet kid with a sweet kid of her own. Not long after she had her daughter it was discovered she has a brain tumor. She’s had a lot of trouble over the years but is once again in remission.

One of the main things that saving her life has done is steal most of her memory. You know the movie Fifty First Dates? It’s not funny when it’s the life of someone you know. Anyway, due to circumstances I’d rather not discuss, T and I had a parting of the ways. Her choice, not mine. Even though she doesn’t remember me most of the time I still care, foolishly perhaps.

She called today as she does from time to time when she forgets we don’t associate any longer. We had a conversation like we used to back when we were close. Great but it brought up a lot of painful memories for me, memories that perhaps she’s lucky not to share.

It always throws me when she reappears like this even though I know it’s going to happen every now and then. Perhaps I should become cold enough to not answer when I see it’s her calling but what if something’s really wrong, like her tumor’s growing again?

Sometimes life just sucks and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh, Barb. I'm so sorry. This is such a sad story and no one deserves to be diagnosed with such a horrible medical condition. The fact that it has stolen most of her memory is heartwrenching.

Just be true to yourself. You are too good of a friend not to be there. That's what I so love about you.

Stay tough, Hellbitch!

HUGS

Anny Cook said...

Yep. Life sucks sometimes. Try to remember the best memories with her.

Unknown said...

How horrible, Barb. But I think you're doing the right thing. You're staying true to the friendship you once had.
I had a fallen out with my best friend from high school - her choice. I wanted to speak to her every day. She died in January at the age of 41. I never got that chance to make things right.
She is blessed to have you there when she needs you.

Unknown said...

Hugs. That's tough. I wouldn't know what to do, either.