Sunday, June 14, 2009

Let's Walk


I wanted to go for a walk only that’s not the easiest thing to do around here these days. I’ve never really worried much about it before but there was a big fuss on the radio this week about women who were mugged on one of our public bike/walking trails in the middle of the day while walking together so I wondered at whether I should go alone.

I finally decided to wander around one of the cemeteries. Rather perfect, actually. Pretty and green, lots of old trees for shade, plenty to entertain me, and no one to bother me. What more could I ask for?

I started at the area nearest the entrance, the oldest section, and found some really cool stuff. I came across this tombstone for Augustus Homan from Civil War times that made me wonder about who he was. It’s very elaborate as you can see. Back then they used to put exactly how old they were when they died. The stones also told a bit about who they were. It’s kind of sad that tradition has been lost because I think this stone is gorgeous.

During my stroll I also came across this raised table. Unfortunately it wasn’t made of the same lasting stone that old Augustus’s was so nothing remained of the inscription. Anyone know why it was set up like this? I didn’t see anymore graves arranged in this particular fashion on this walk. Perhaps I’ll find another one because I’m planning on going back again. I’ll let you know if I stumble across anything else particularly interesting.

2 comments:

Anny Cook said...

That's pretty cool. I have one in my family that had a slab set atop curbs that surrounded the grave. Unfortunately, like your table top, the stone was soft and cracked, collapsing in on the grave.

I love cemeteries.

Regina Carlysle said...

I love them too. Interesting that back then they took the time for detail. What does that say about these modern times? Very sad.