Sunday, June 21, 2009

Today's Trek


Yesterday was my great aunt’s 93rd birthday. We were to have lunch then but it was raining too hard to see the road so the trip was postponed until today.

She is such a sweetheart. I wish you could meet her. Her body is slowing down, more each time I see her but there is still absolutely nothing wrong with her mind. I love to get her talking about her life. Imagine all the changes she’s seen. Think about it. She was born in 1916.

Today wasn’t a good reminiscing day because my mom and brother were with me. My great aunt and I do much better at talking when they’re not around. They’re too impatient to bother to listen once she starts to ramble whereas I encourage her. I feel a little sad for them. They miss so much.

She lives in Carlisle which is the prettiest little town. It’s got Dickenson Law College and the PA War Museum in the Carlisle Barracks. There is a designated historic district in the center of town but the rest of the place adheres fairly well to what they set for that area. Very cool, old houses with gorgeous gardens. Driving down the street you have the impression that people for the most part still care about their homes. Lawns are mowed, litter is virtually absent and you don’t see junk in yards like is so common elsewhere. It’s really a very impressive place. If only it were on the ocean instead of in central Pennsylvania it would be the perfect place for me. Ah well, I suppose you can’t have everything.

Today we had lunch at Red Lobster, her choice, and she seemed quite pleased when we left. To me, that’s what was important. She was happy so I am happy. Last time I visited, it was a bit of a sad day but not today. Today my great aunt was her most awesome self, full of smiles and ready to go. Yay!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, B. She is absolutely adorably beautiful. She looks like she's a ton of fun, too. I'm so glad that you enjoy your time with her. Lord knows, we can't get it back.

Great photo.

Hugs,
TT

Molly Daniels said...

Glad you had a good visit! Want me to dig out some of the questions in that Grandmother Remembers book I have? There might be some things you've forgotten to ask her.

Anny Cook said...

Elders have so much to share, don't they? So glad you enjoyed your day!