Tuesday, June 16, 2009

More Writer News


I know. Two days in a row. Can you stand it! This is the cover for the Exotika I mentioned last week that doesn’t release until November 27th. Isn’t it gorgeous!

I noticed something about my writing lately. I seem to be stuck in first person mode. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a tad odd. But that’s me, isn’t it? I considered being concerned but decided against it. It’s happened before and wore off. It’ll likely happen again. But it does have me wondering. Do you like reading things that are more of a narrative, a reminiscence rather than a traditional story? Do you mind having only one point of view or do you prefer to know what everyone is thinking?

The only real problem with this is that it’s making progress on what I was revising damn near impossible. Hmm, I suppose that one will have to wait a bit because I’ve learned not to try to force things. Instead I’ve started something new. It was meant to be one of my fun little flashes, a writing exercise for me just to assure myself I still can, but it’s taken on a personality of its own. I’m not really sure where it’s take me but it’s an adventure so I’m going along for now. Maybe I’ll need to reel it in later, maybe not. We’ll see once I get wherever it is this is going.

Now a question for my writer friends. What do you do when your characters leads you in unexpected directions?

One last tidbit and I’ll leave you to it. If you ever find yourself in Portland, Oregon don’t whistle while underwater. It’s illegal there and, as much fun as I’d have reporting that you were arrested for something so silly, it’s kind of far for me to come bail you out. Hmm, I wonder if that includes bathtubs and how, if it does, that one is enforced?

2 comments:

Anny Cook said...

Whistling underwater, eh? Hmmm. Only you, Barb.

As for my characters... they pretty much run the show. Generally when they hare off in some odd direction I race to keep up with them.

Regina Carlysle said...

First person can be a really nice change.I played around with it some and I like it.

Beautiful and yummy cover!