Friday, June 12, 2009

Pandemic


I read a rather interesting article about this today. No, I didn’t really mean to. It was just the only thing around to read at the moment and I decided it was better than sitting there. In case you’re wondering why I don’t write at such times it’s because I’d get much to lost and wouldn’t want to stop when I needed to. Reading such an article was easily interrupted.

Anyway I did learn some stuff I thought I’d pass on. It’s up to you whether you continue reading this or not. The first is that unlike other yearly flus that attack those with the weakest immune systems, the elderly and very young, a flu with pandemic potential affects those who are active and otherwise healthy, as in the 20- to 40-year old population. It attacks the sturdiest immune systems, causing them to respond in such a way as to kill of the victims from within. As in your own immune system kills you by trying to fight off the flu virus, not the flu itself. Perhaps I should have already known this however I didn’t. Not in such specific terms.

Now I admit I really haven’t been paying all that much attention to the details in the news. I’m personally fine and no one I know has the flu so I saw no immediate need even though Berks County has the highest amount of confirmed cases in the state.

The journal I read was business related so it pointed out things I’d never really considered. The biggest task, as they see it, is to keep money, cash, available to the population. That means doing whatever is necessary to keep ATM machines functioning. What’s so hard about that, you ask? Think about it for a moment.

In a severe outbreak, the average worker will be unproductive for approximately 28 days, whether from illness itself or from the need to provide care to someone else. It’s recommended that companies plan for a 40-60 percent reduction in the work force for at least several weeks if not months. In Pennsylvania that translates to 2.5 to 4 million people off of work for the flu or flu related care giving. And that’s only sick people from the workforce. Add on to that the people not working whether they’re unemployed, retired or underage and you can start to see what a mess this could be should the worst case scenario occur.

Now take all those sick people out of the daily mix that keeps us all functioning as a society. Not only will there be a tremendous impact on manufacturing and service industries but also hospitality, entertainment portions of the economy will suffer extensively too. People who aren’t currently infected will very likely go into social isolation which will only make things worse though really, you can’t blame them and social distancing is, in fact, something that’s recommended during a pandemic of epic proportions. No more conventions, trips to the dentist or hairdresser. Even hanging out at the local malls will end.

So yes, now you can see how difficult it may be to maintain something so common place as ATM machines. What if there simply is no one around to replenish them? Or what if the computer system that ties them all together fails?

The article continues with suggesting every organization have a mission critical plan in place. They must prioritize what is most essential and focus on keeping that segment of their business running which for most places means intensive cross training. I don’t know about you but I have serious doubts about that occurring. Then there are issues such as what to do if power is lost, if essential supplies simply aren’t coming in, if there’s no way to communicate. I won’t even get into the whole health care overload aspect of all this.

But even when it’s over it won’t be. There will be a sudden demand surge for everyone who is back out there. Unstable businesses will fail, potentially leaving gaps and causing the returning workforce to need restructuring. It will take months, perhaps even years, to get everything sorted out.

The big picture should the worst happen is a bit intimidating, isn’t it? Hopefully, we won’t be tested but sooner or later you know it will happen. Okay, enough doom and gloom. Enjoy your weekend.

No comments: