Saturday, March 15, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy


I've been so productive today it's scary. I started by going out in the world, something I generally avoid on Saturdays unless food, drink and laughter are involved.

I began my mission at Lowe's where I procured a new button for my doorbell. Mine's been self-destructing and one morning when someone rang it at 4:45 AM it stuck pushed in which made a horrible buzzing noise. The poor cats were extremely upset by the time I decided I'd waited long enough for whoever was outside to get bored and leave so I could open the door just far enough to unstick it.

Next stop, BJ's where I filled my gas tank. Molly brace yourself - $3.21/gallon. Inside I picked up not only the vacuum cleaner that instigated the whole journey but a new set of summer sheets, 420 thread count in celery, and a book, Skinny Bitch, which hopefully I will be able to read sooner rather than later.

My last destination - the Giant to take advantage of my free ham coupon. It'll be ham and bean soup with ham sandwiches after I do some cooking tomorrow. I also picked up a selection of salt-based foods. Hm, must have something lacking in my diet since I got that and no chocolate. Then it was time to check out. It never fails, whatever line I get in is the wrong one. Today I was behind the coupon queen of the universe. Julio, the checkout boy was actually sweating by the time he looked back through her slip to find the prices of all her buy one get one free deals. It was so bad the manager came over to try to help which only made poor Julio more nervous. And then she paid her hefty bill with a slew of partly used gift cards, many, many of them. When it was finally my turn the poor boy was pale and shaking so I smiled brightly and gave him my perkiest greeting. I chatted pleasantly the whole time he rang up my order. I even involved the woman behind me who quickly picked up on what I was doing and joined in being just as sweet as I was. When I left I thanked him, telling him I'd see him next week, and said "nice kid" to the manager as I went. It wasn't his fault the prior woman handed him her stack of coupons when he was already half way through her order and I didn't want to see him get yelled out because he really was trying to deal with it as best he could.

Once home, I stowed my groceries. My first project was to change the doorbell button. No problem! I didn't even zap myself. I then assembled the new vacuum without a hitch. I used it all over the house and was horrified at the quantity of muck in the basket, it's bagless. I really do vacuum weekly even though you wouldn't have thought so seeing the amount of debris. Yep, definitely time for this.

The last thing I did was take out the trash, including the huge box and old vacuum. While outside, I took a tour of my yard. All my bulbs are sprouting. It won't be long before there are splashes of vibrant color all over.

Whew! Now that I have all that taken care of I can finally get to what I'd originally planned for today...writing. I left my characters in a rather precarious position two days ago and it's way past time for me to get them out of it.

9 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Gas was $3.38 a gallon. Actually down a penny.

What kind of flowers? I promise not to look at them...(black eye here!)

barbara huffert said...

You can look, Molly. Come on over - I'll share my flowers. The snowdrops are almost finished. The crocus and mini daffy's are about to bloom. The tulips, hyacinths, regular daffodils and some other little blue and pink things I don't remember the names of are up. The primrose is getting buds. Soon the early iris will start. Oh and my holly bush has been in full bloom for a month for the first time.

I had dahlias in my hand at Lowe's but it really is too soon to plant anything.

Unknown said...

Just to make you sick - petrol, last time I filled up was $1.21 with a coupon...that's shocking for Australia but compared to the US - amazing

Anonymous said...

Yeah but Amarinda you are litres in Australia and there are about four litres to the gallon so you are actually paying something like $5 a gallon there.

Phoenix said...

Okay, first, what asshat rings your bell at 4:45 in the morning?

Second, I need a new doorbell too, wanna come fix mine?

Phoenix said...

Ooo. AJ, Anonymous is right. You guys have it worse.

Unknown said...

Well, there you go anonymous...fancy me getting math wrong. Luckily I live in the best country in the world so that counterbalances it.

barbara huffert said...

Good on you for feeling that way AJ. Kelly, I have an idea who it was but thinking about it just makes me mad. Also, doorbell maintanence is easy. You don't need me. You really can do it yourself.

Molly Daniels said...

What color tulips? I love the dark red ones!