Friday, March 21, 2008

TV or Not TV?


I called my cable company yesterday. Why? Because I sat down and thought about it and realized that I am paying $86.58/month to watch 12 hours of television during months when shows aren’t repeats. I watch Dr. Who and Torchwood on BBC America and Monk on USA. Oh I do watch other things, repeats of the Gilmore Girls, old movies and the Graham Norton Show but none are things I seek out or worry about missing if I’m busy doing something else.

Okay so back to the cable company. I called them because that’s a ridiculous amount of money for next to nothing. I reached a very pleasant woman after only 8 levels of automatic nonsense. I explained my quandary and then asked what I could eliminate to decrease the cost while keeping the two channels I watch. Her answer, nothing. To have cable at all basic service is required. Standard cable, the next level up includes USA Network. The third tier, digital preferred contains BBC America. I then asked about true ala carte service, wanting to pay only for the shows I actually watch. Nope, not available. This I think is bogus. The whole system is computerized. There is an on demand function with a gazillion movies and specials available at the touch of a button. I think it’s more likely that they’d lose too much money on people like me if they charged by the program.

This was when I listed my three options. One, I could stop paying my cable bill in protest like many people I know. I’m told it takes about three months for them to get around to disconnecting cable service. Two, I can switch to direct TV. The slightly less pleasant woman pointed out that the channels I watch may not be available. They are. I asked a friend at work who has it. Also, the alternate service in my area may not be any cheaper. It is per the same friend. Three, I can get rid of TV altogether. I spent the first two years after I purchased my home without it and I survived quite nicely. I’m sure I could again. Besides, the shows I watch are available on DVD eventually. Also I can watch them a day later on the Internet if I don’t mind my smaller computer screen. Moderately disgruntled customer service woman didn’t champion any of the above.

Yes, definitely something to consider before the next bill is due.

BTW, luncheon with my great aunt was very nice. She’s the same sweetie as always but with a cold this visit. We went to Olive Garden. Great food but overly efficient service to the point of rushing us. Our meals were brought after the second bite of soup/salad. I decided to forego my delicious creamy potato/sausage/kale soup in favor of my asiago steak with cheese filled tortellini while it was still hot. Yummy, which I did make sure to mention as I informed the manager of the excessive speed of the servers on the way out when he stopped us to ask.

5 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Ooh, I've been wanting to try their new entrees...told hubby I'd get the chicken and he could get the steak and we'd share. Glad you liked it...now I've got a recommendation for him!

MIL is out of the hospital. Glad you had a good time with your aunt!

Molly Daniels said...

Forgot to add...we had the same problem when we switched to Dish. The lower priced package didn't have Discovery or my SoapNet (for watching 90210)so I upgraded to the next level PDQ. When the bill arrived, hubby was not amused that we were now only saving $5 instead of $30!

Unknown said...

I posted a comment before but blogger chucked it into cyber space. Hmmm...what was it about? Man's inhumanity to man? The price of petrol? Blue toenail polish versus green? Never mind...

Anonymous said...

I've been asking myself the same question about our pay TV. We pay almost $100 AUS a month and for what? The same garbage movies, over, and over, and over again. You'd think they'd have a broad choice of movies, but for months on end they're the same movies! I don't understand it. It really is cheaper to go to the local video store, me thinks.

Phoenix said...

I like the way you think. I'm a torchwood watcher too and we have direct TV with TIVO which I would miss terribly. But if I had to choose between them, would go without and watch on my computer screen. Wireless service is much less than a cable hook up.

Hmm. Something to think about anyway.