Sunday, March 23, 2008

Mrs. Quackenbush


The Easter I was 8 a friend of my dad's brought us the sweetest little ball of yellow fluff which turned out to be a duckling. I never understood why she had to sleep in the box in the kitchen instead of in my room. I remember sneaking down the creaky wooden steps with my pillow because I didn't want her to be lonely. I'd get her out of her box and she'd nestle against my neck. I can still hear the little peeps she made since she hadn't learned to quack yet.

By the time summer vacation rolled around, Mrs. Quackenbush was a fully grown, white as snow duck. She had her own pen outside then so every morning I'd go let her out for the day. She was the best companion a kid could have. We also had cats and dogs which were fun too but after a bit they would wander off on their own. Not Quacky. She was my shadow. My mom would send me to pick sugar peas and many times I would return with a basket full that had beak prints on them since she always tried to help. And when it was time to pick blueberries I think we ate more than we took inside. My dad would set up the little blow up pool and we'd be in it before he had it half full. At lunch, she'd traipse along inside and sit under the table at my feet, waiting for me to sneak her some of the bread from my sandwich. Well, sneak is an exaggeration. She could quack by then and wasn't at all shy. When I had to go away, she'd come running to the car to greet me as soon as I opened the door, quacking and flapping for all she was worth. Ducks may not be traditional pets but they sure are wonderful ones.

Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have warm and fluffy memories like I do.

Reminder - Last day for the Bound Brits contest.

2 comments:

Phoenix said...

Awww! I want a duck! How long did she live? Ever give you eggs?

Anonymous said...

My husband had a duck when he was a kid. They called him 'Daffy' LOL! And it shat everywhere, but it was a fun pet. The most exotic we got was a Budgie called Bluey. :D