Thursday, March 6, 2008

I went to the dentist today...



And had a blast! No, I don’t have some weird fetish. I just have a great dentist with an awesome staff.

First there’s the receptionist. She’s known me since I was maybe 5. When the dentist from back then sold his practice she seems to have been part of the deal. Since I’ve known her forever we caught up when I walked in which included talk of the job I got since I was there last. Can’t go into details on that one but believe me, it left her shaking her head. And of course I handed over my newest bookmark. Yep, the whole office knows all about my writing and they’ve been supportive and interested from the beginning. Kind of amusing since my mother goes to the same dentist. I think they know more about my books than she does!

Then there’s the dental assistant. She’s done some amazing things in her life and I always look forward to chatting with her. I introduced her to the whole ebook thing and I’m happy to report that she is building quite a library. I think my books are included.

Next is the hygienist and her massaging chair. Mm, anyone else ever have trouble staying awake while having your teeth cleaned? She hugged me when I answered her query about how the new book was going. We have had some truly interesting discussions over the years. I thought there’d be another today only the dentist stole me right out of her chair and cleaned my teeth himself. I have no idea why. Does your dentist ever do that? Conversations with him generally include a report of books we recently read and Broadway shows we either saw or have tickets for. Today was no exception. We also talked about my car situation since last time I was there mine broke down as I got there and wouldn’t start afterwards. Can you believe he remembered?

Before I left I set up my next appointment with the hygienist who expressed her disappointment at missing our chat. Actually, I was a bit disappointed too. I had some questions to follow up on what she’d told me six months ago and now I’ll have to remember for another six months.

As I was on my way out the receptionist noticed my new Crocs, Mary Janes in lavender with an Eeyore charm. That got us back into our ongoing discussion of the merits of Crocs.

So that was my visit to the dentist today. Now do you understand why I eagerly anticipate these appointments instead of dreading them?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a slack arse - I have not been to the dentist in a long time

Brynn Paulin said...

I'm glad you had a great appointment. My dentist is great, but I still tear up at teh thought of going there.

Molly Daniels said...

Massaging chair? My childhood dentist had a room with a TV in it. My sis and I used to lord it over each other if one of us got it and the other had to listen to the radio!

I need to visit yours...

Bronwyn Green said...

My dentist is very sweet - I like him and the hygenists a bunch, but I still hate going there. I can't stand people's hands in my mouth. Blech.

barbara huffert said...

I forgot to mention that my dentist is very into all the latest gizmos and gadgets. He's always updating things, making each visit as painfree as possible.

Landon Worley said...

It’s wonderful to see that you have such a great relationship with your dentist and her staff. That definitely makes the visits a lot more fun. Many don’t really fear the dentist; the anticipation of the procedure is what usually scares them. Having a dentist that you can be friends with softens the blow and lessens the trepidation.

Jamar Schaffer said...

I totally agree with Landen! A good relationship with your dentist definitely makes every visit easier and more fun. In my experience, I’ve found that the dentist’s instruments are the ones that cause fear in visiting the dentist. When patients see them, they imagine pain right away. But, a dentist you can have fun will remove that feeling.

Kristal Byrnes said...

Wow, Barbara, I am the complete opposite when it comes to teeth cleaning; I’m always wide awake! I guess I can’t help it; my tongue is sensitive to metal, so anytime the instruments hit my tongue, I gag. Thankfully, my dentist is very patient and understanding. He does his best to get the job done while avoiding any unnecessary contact between my taste buds and his drills.