Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Politics


Calm down and keep reading. I’m not going to step up on a soapbox and spout my views on any candidates, past, present, or future. My opinions on that are rarely divulged. So what am I climbing up on this soapbox for?

Voting

This is something I feel strongly about. So strongly, in fact, that if you didn’t vote when the current administration was being elected, you’re not welcome to complain about it in my house. Yes, I really have asked individuals to leave when they’ve failed to grasp that I am entirely serious about this one. As I see it, not voting is irresponsible. It’s voluntarily forfeiting one of your rights. Why anyone would ever do that willingly, I’ll never understand.

Think for a minute. You turn 18, you fill out a form. And then you’re all set. Even with local elections included it’s not like it takes up very much of your life to go vote. I’m certain each of you has spent some of your time on things far less important over the years.

Here’s what I propose. If you’re not already registered, do so now. You still have time before November’s election. On Election Day, abandon your computer for half an hour, go to your assigned polling center and vote. Generally the pollsters will tell you what number you are. Afterwards, post a comment here and let me know what number you were and what time you voted.

Before you start making excuses, don’t bother. One vote really does count when added to all the other one votes. Just think, yours might be the one that makes the difference and tips the election the other way. Don’t worry, I’ll remind you when the election gets closer. For now, do as you’re told and register.

Okay, putting my soapbox away for now. Here’s the explanation of my shampoo bottle, reposted from my MySpace blog, just for you Amarinda.

I was standing in the shower this morning and ended up reading my shampoo bottle. I have no idea what possessed me to do that. I just did. And then I laughed. Good thing the windows were closed or my neighbors would be wondering again.

Have you ever read your shampoo bottle? You should. Apparently mine wants to be my friend. It’s chatty and chummy. I guess that’s a good thing since after all, it is in the shower with me. You see, the label’s written in first person, like the bottle is communicating directly and specifically with me. It reads “use me, hurry” and tells me to repeat because that’s “twice as nice.” It also claims that it will give me “a sense of weightlessness” and leave my hair “flowing naturally”. Quite a feat considering my hair is all of two inches long and curls however it wants to. Once dry, only the strongest wind can rearrange it. If I walk past a mirror today I’ll have to remember to check to see how it’s flowing.

One more fascinating thing I discovered on my shampoo bottle. It has herbalhead games. Never knew you could play trivia while showering, did you? The question was how many dreams does the average person have in a year. The answer, 1460. Hmm, wonder how they came up with that. Even more I wonder if I’ll have a different question tomorrow. Now that would be truly amazing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely. If you don't vote, you can't complain.

Shampoo? LOL. Gee mine is very mundane. All it says is 'specially designed to protect your freshly colour treated hair for a healthy look'.

Dull, dull, dull.

Phoenix said...

Hi dear! Had to stop by and let you know I'd been here, read, conquered but won't comment on politics. Sorry. Love ya, kiddo.

Unknown said...

You're right - I had a look at my shampoo bottle and if it was a man I'd fall in love with everything it wants to do to me