Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Princess and the Pea



Last night I was supposed to go see a young friend of mine star in her school play, The Princess and the Pea. Unfortunately the weather interfered and the event was postponed due to lack of electricity. So tonight's the night instead.


I can feel some of you rolling your eyes, thinking why on earth am I willingly subjecting myself to a middle school play when I don't have a kid of my own in it. Simple. Because I do have a kid. Technically she's not mine but I've known her her entire life and her parents are generous enough to let me borrow her whenever I ask.


This girl is a truly remarkable young lady and I'm honored to know her. I've watched over the years as she's discovered herself and let me tell you it's been fascinating. She's a very clever and creative individual. I used to work for a craft company that would occasionally offer odds and ends of inventory to employees. No matter what doodads I took, my friend always managed to transform them into something spectacular. What amazed me was how easy she made it look.


A few years ago we went to see the Christmas Show at Radio City Music Hall. Have you seen it? Everyone should at least once in their lives. Anyway, my friend was hooked. She switched from wanting to be an artist to being an actress. Since then we've gone to see numerous performances both in New York and locally. Yes, I'm encouraging her by exposing her to a wide variety of shows. Not to mention how much fun we always have!


Her credits to date include Cats and Cooks, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and the Diary of Anne Frank just to name a few. It never matters whether her role is big or small, she always throws herself into it and gives it her all, surprising for one so young. So yes, I am honestly looking forward to tonight's middle school rendition of the Princess and the Pea because I know the princess personally and am one of her biggest fans.

Update - I just got home from the perfomance and my friend was a spectacular princess!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Why would we roll our eyes? As cynical as I am, I unfailingly support those people who are important to me. I am sure it will be a great perfomance

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with supporting a child you love, be it yours or someone elses :D I look forward to reading of her progress.

Molly Daniels said...

I dragged my family to The Music Man because the teenager across the street was the mom character. And since she baby-sat so much for me, I called her my adopted daughter. My own daughter refused to dress up and look nice (she was five)for me, but when she found out we were going to see Alicia perform, she quickly changed into a dress! Shows you where Mom rated...

Anny Cook said...

I suspect that she was spectacular. I just checked out your webpage and discovered much to my delight that you're a Travis Magee fan! I thought I was the only one on the planet!