Monday, March 3, 2008

Welcome to my Blog

Ever have a day where you just don’t seem to fit anywhere? I’ve been feeling that way a lot lately, even more so than I normally do. Why? Who knows? There’s never any tangible reason. Maybe I’m imagining it but I really don’t think so. Maybe it’s just how I am. That wouldn’t surprise me at all.

In college I ended up with a degree in cultural anthropology without actually planning to. I loved the courses so much I kept taking more and more until I only needed the final two for the degree. Which means I am literally a trained observer. Could that perhaps be why I feel like I’m always on the fringes, watching the action even when in actuality I’m in the thick of it? Could “observer” be my true nature?

I won’t deny that being invisible has its advantages. It gives the impression that I’m harmless, a non-entity. I’m someone people talk to without ever consciously deciding to. I’ve been fed so many interesting tidbits by some you can’t even begin to imagine. Do I then turn around and divulge this information? On the whole, no. But you must keep in mind that I am a writer. Much of my life ends up in my books in one form or another. That includes those whose lives have touched mine as well. Take a deep breath and relax now please. Don’t want any of you to hyperventilate on me. I don’t name names or state things in a way that makes it possible for the general public to decipher identities and specifics. If I do ever use something that’s been inadvertently revealed to me it’s done in such a way that only the individual involved will know exactly what I’m referring to. Whether you choose to boast about being immortalized is a different matter entirely.

So here we are. At an event together, the launch of my new blog. Make yourself at home. Leave comments as you wish. They don’t necessarily have to be related to the topic I’ve chosen. Speak your mind. Talk to me. After all, your secrets are safe with me.

13 comments:

Anny Cook said...

Wow! Nice start! Welcome to blogland.

Molly Daniels said...

Welcome, Barb!

Barb said...

Hi Barb. Stopping in to read this first blog. I might just have to be careful what I say around you now. lol Good luck and congrats on the new blog.

Charlene Leatherman said...

Welcome to Blogland. Haven't heard from you in a long time. Glad to see you are still hanging around observing the world. I will have to drop by and see what is happening in your world more often.

Saroya said...

if I leave enough comments, do I get to be you a book? That would be fun. Harmless looking granny lady, um well, not to harmless, oh wait, just a little harmful maybe.

Bronwyn Green said...

Yay Barb, I'm so glad you're here! And Mouse, too, of course.

As far as degrees go, I have to say, Cultural Anthropology is pretty cool.

Unknown said...

Yay Barbara...welcome to our world.

I would be happy for you to put my in a book. Try to at least keep me alive til chapter 3 please

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,

Just popped by to read your first blog. Looks like you are off to a great start.

Kathleen Coddington

Phoenix said...

Howdy Barb lady. Good job on the blog and remind me never to tell you ANYTHING! ;) Kidding. I don't have much to hide.

Brynn Paulin said...

Hey Barb! Welcome to blogland!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, Barb. I'm sure that your "observer" status is among the qualities that enable you to be such a colorful writer. You see the images in your mind from your observations and have the gift to put those images into words so well that we who read them see the images in our minds. I hope your blog here is a great success for you. Andrew.

barbara huffert said...

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to be here with you.

AJ, don't worry, you'll be the one left standing at the end after kicking ass and taking names.

Oh no, please don't feel you need to watch what you say around me. I'm perfectly harmless, honest!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to 'Blogland' Barbara!! :D