Friday, November 28, 2008

Bittersweet


I made my holiday pilgrimage to visit my great aunt along with my mother and brother today. The woman is amazing. Ninety-two and sharp as can be. Yes, her body’s slowing down but she’s still living on her own. She gets out and about and does what she wants, when she wants. As I said, amazing.

I am worried about her however. She informed us of several more friend deaths bringing the total to nine this year. There’s only one left in her main group and she’s off to Florida for the winter, possibly for good. My aunt does have subgroups that she socializes with but they were never her first choice when it came to people to hang out with. Also I’m really not sure how many of them are left at this point either.

As she was telling us about this there was a sadness about her I hadn’t noticed before. On the way home I was pondering it and I can understand why. It must be extremely difficult to lose everyone you’ve been close to forever. Yes, some of the people who died this year were left over from her childhood. Can you imagine 85 years worth of memories with someone?

Of course this is not a subject that was discussed in the car on the way home beyond the fact that there is still nothing wrong with my aunt’s mind and that the state required she take a driver’s test about two years ago in order to retain her license.

Actually there was very little discussion in the car either direction. I had my laptop which tends to annoy my family. It prevents them from talking about me when I pretend to sleep which is my other option for these car trips. I was pleased even if they weren’t. I managed to get some work done for a change, something I’ve been having some trouble with lately so in my opinion it was a fairly decent day all around even though I am a little sad now.

4 comments:

Anny Cook said...

Just spent time with my elders, too. Yep, their contemporaries are dying and often that leaves them lonely.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately that is life and something we can do nothing about

Molly Daniels said...

I remember how sad my grandmother was when the last of her 'old' friends passed. She outlived him by 6 years, at age 96.

My MIL is showing signs of being 'tired'; we try to spend as much time with her as possible.

Regina Carlysle said...

Went through this with my grandmother and I still remember how sad her little group of friends were when she passed at age 87. Three little white haired ladies sitting there together crying. So sad.