Saturday, November 1, 2008

Change Your Clocks


Daylight savings time ends tonight. To most of the country it's probably nothing more than a nuisance. To some, if the article I read yesterday is accurate, it could mean their life. Yes, there's a study that shows that turning the clock back and getting an extra hour of sleep causes fewer heart attacks. Conversely turning your clock ahead in the spring causes more so make sure you go to bed early then. I'll try to remind you.

Back to what I was rambling about. What does daylight savings time mean to me? The actual act of switching the time, nothing. It's the being reminded to do so that is what used to be important. You see from the time I moved into my house twenty-one years ago until the time he died my dad always called me on the evening of the time change. No matter what else was going on in either of our lives we always had that conversation twice a year. Hm, you might even say it occurred like clockwork.

It's been six years but a small part of me still expects that call later tonight. I'll have to remind myself not to be disappointed when the phone doesn't ring.

4 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

I know what you mean. Same with me and my dad. No just the time change/clock thing but other things like...do I have freon in my car a/c before summer hits. Sigh. Those little things are killers.

Unknown said...

He's still there - prodding you to do so that you do wondering why you are doing it

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks for the reminder! I forgot to do this last night. Now I have an extra hour to blog before church this morning:)

Unknown said...

Yeah, Dad's are good for that sort of thing.

XoXoXo
Dakota Rebel