Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Today's News

Reading dropped to 63rd place on the list of most dangerous cities with population over 75,000, down from 32nd last year. However, Philadelphia is 22nd, Pittsburgh ranked 61st and Allentown, 89th. Seems to me Pennsylvania cities are attractive to criminals. I wonder why that is?

The timing of this article is interesting. Just yesterday as I was getting into my car someone ran by me in the parking lot. Not unusual considering I park in a busy area. What was out of the ordinary were the slew of police cars with flashing lights that followed almost instantly, blocking the street I normally use to leave.

The officer that ran towards me only had her hand on her gun. The one behind her had his drawn already. Wanting to make it very obvious I didn’t do whatever it was, I opened my window and waited. When asked if I’d seen a guy in a tan jacket I pointed to where he went and yep, you guessed it. I got to say, “He went that way.” How many of you have gotten to do that? Made me chuckle all the way home. I checked the paper today and there wasn’t anything in it so I can’t tell you what he was being chased for.

In other news, and I know you’ve all been waiting on the edges of your seats for this one, the men whose company sold the Whizzinator plead guilty and are awaiting sentencing in February. What’s a Wizzinator you ask? Why it’s a prosthetic penis in several living flesh tones that came complete with a heating element and fake urine of course. What else would it be?

Professional athletes used this device mainly to get around stricter drug testing standards. I remember first hearing about it a year or so ago on the radio when one of them was discovered going through airport security. Yeah, imagine explaining that. Sorry, no sympathy here. Or for the guys who invented it. Their possible punishment is only a half-million dollar fine or up to eight years in prison or both. Sounds like they’re getting off easy to me. But I suspect that’s why they plead guilty instead of facing a trial. Just my opinion but this is my blog after all and I’m entitled. You’re welcome to share yours on the subject if you care to.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is why read your blog as I never know what the hell you are going to say next...never heard of the Whizzinator though....thank you for sharing

Molly Daniels said...

That is just weird.

Did you get to use your John Wayne voice? 'He went thataway...'

Regina Carlysle said...

I've heard about the Whizzinator. Obviously thought up and designed by a man. Crazy.

I've always wanted to say...he went thataway. Amazing. Crime tends to go up when an area is suffering economically. Our economy in Texas isn't as bad as in most places BUT it's not great. Burglaries and other crime is steadily rising here.

Sandra Cox said...

You and Amarinda are always in on the action:)
Unfortunately, my daughter and son in law live in Philly.
Happy Tofu Day:)

Unknown said...

I live in Philly too, for 7+ years now... somehow I have managed to stay out of the thick of things.

Barb, the best part of that blog was "he went that way"... I can so see you saying that AND laughing all the way home. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving - I spent that night in Wheeling, WV watching some serious hockey. =)