Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Is It Possible?


I watched The Christmas Card on the Hallmark channel the other night. The basic plot is a woman sends handmade cards to soldiers, one is so touched he comes to find her when he gets home, her family invites him to stay giving him a job in exchange for room and board, she gets engaged to her longtime boyfriend who only proposes because he now has competition, the soldier starts to leave because it breaks his heart since he’s fallen in love with her, she ditches the boyfriend because she realizes she’s really in love with the soldier. On Christmas of course. The perfect sappy story.

But it got me thinking. Is it really possible to impact someone that much, just with a few short sentences? Can you be so drawn to someone you’ve never actually met that you’re half in love by the time you do meet them?

As a romance writer I feel compelled to answer yes. After all, isn’t that the whole idea of these books? A happily ever after in unlikely circumstances. It’s a great fantasy, isn’t it?

However as someone who hasn’t had the best personal experiences with love, I’m not so sure. I admit it. I’m a bit cynical. I’m not saying it’s impossible, just improbable. I have tremendous doubts that real life can ever work out like that.

Since it’s the beginning of the holiday season I’d like any of you with a fairy tale of your own to prove me wrong. Share it please, either here or in a private email if you prefer. What do you receive for being so generous? Nothing other than helping to restore some hope for me, something I could really use right about now. In the movie, a handmade Christmas card made a difference. In reality, your own story could.

3 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Come on over! Like I said, we've got enough food for half the block...

It is possible to fall in love through letters. However, reality sets in when the blinders come off, several months/years/decades later. But the initial feeling is glorious! And isn't that what romance is all about?

Unknown said...

Not sure through love letters but I can't see why not. I do know, a long time ago, a look and some really terse words shared with a particular man, did it for me. Though we did not stay together due to being too alike (translation - pushy and temperamental) I can see how strangers can fall in love by mere words on paper - and you know I am not the slightest bit sappy

Regina Carlysle said...

I agree with Amarinda. I met a stranger, by chance, and fell hard and fast. Here we are 26 yrs. later, imperfect of course, but still together. The thing about the written word is there is seldom pretense about it. Maybe it's because you aren't face to face that the masks are gone. You can speak your mind without retribution. Talk about dreams and wishes because you are starting as strangers. It can certainly become something deeper.

You know how you'll read a line in a book and it just grabs you? The author might not have intended that but it happens anyway. There is great power in words. They can hurt, soothe or make you fall in love.

Yeah. I'm a sap. I know.