Saturday, November 29, 2008

Just Not the Same


I love eggnog. It's one of the few things I enjoy about the holidays. I even have a recipe that's to die for. However it makes way too much for just me so I these days I usually settle for a small carton from the grocery store. Much too thick to drink straight so I resolve that dilemma be adding some rum. Okay, a lot of rum. And I grate fresh nutmeg on it too. Not as good as homemade but it'll do.

I meant to grab some while I was at the store this morning. Don't know how I managed to forget it since that was one of the main reasons I was there but I did. Darn!

I was out and about later and actually considered stopping to pick up a carton. Only problem is I hate to shop. I avoid it whenever possible and not even eggnog could convince me otherwise. I had resigned myself to drinking plain old water this evening, not as tasty but much healthier. But then I was stopped at the traffic light at McDonald's on my way home. I looked over and there in big bold lettering was a sign proclaiming eggnog milkshakes are back for the holidays.

Yes, I know what you're thinking. Ew, right? That's what I thought at first too but then I remembered how easy it is to make mudslides with Arby's jamocha shakes so I thought oh what the hell, why not give it a try?

I had to drink an inch or so of the shake in order to make room for the rum. If you've never had a McDonald's eggnog shake I wouldn't recommend one. Borderline nasty and that's being extremely generous. I added my rum and nutmeg but it was almost as bad. So I gulped down another inch or so and added more rum and nutmeg. It's not nearly as disgusting now but I suspect that's the rum kicking in. Heck by the time I finish I'll probably be telling you how wonderful it was. Nah, probably not. Need to add more rum for that.

3 comments:

anny cook said...

Oh, I agree about the McD's milkshakes!

Unknown said...

I have never had eggnog...other than having rum in it, I don't understand the drinking of beaten eggs...

Regina Carlysle said...

I love it but that stuff is downright deadly. Apply directly to ASS. lol