Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Wah Wah Wah


I swear today I must have been sounding like Charlie Brown’s teacher. Either that or I suddenly quit speaking English without realizing it and everyone around me lost their translation filters or something. Whatever it was, nearly every word I uttered was met with a universal “Huh?”

I don’t know about you but personally, by the fourteenth time I find huh truly aggravating. I tried to maintain a sense of humor about it but it just wasn’t happening. My solution was to stop talking altogether. Then of course we were back to the whole “what’s wrong with Barb routine”.

Do you think I should have told them? How do you think they would have reacted if I’d responded, “Nothing. You’re just too damn annoying to continue attempting to converse with any further today”? I suspect not at all well. Then again, they probably would have thought I was joking. Sometimes I think they haven’t paid enough attention and don’t know me at all. On the other hand, I do see that as a plus for the most part.

Yes, I admit it. I’m selective about who I let into my life. Oh, I’ll talk to anyone. I just don’t reveal things to most that I wouldn’t hire a skywriter to blast across the sky on any given day.

As I seem to have lost whatever non-existent train of thought I never had to start with I suppose that’s enough for today.

One thing that is rather important. It is Veterans Day. If you encounter any in your travels be sure to say thank you. I did.

6 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

I have days like that too! I usually end up asking my kids if I've suddenly forgotten how to speak English. They give me that blank look and go, 'Huh? No, I heard you...'

Anny Cook said...

Are you trying to tell me that you don't understand Charlie Brown's teacher? Are you sure. I'm pretty sure she's speaking English...

Unknown said...

I would have gone down the 'you're too damn annoying route'...and yes - where would we be, whatever thec country, without those who fought for us

Regina Carlysle said...

Unfortunately I have days when I don't HEAR anyone. It's just too much work.

Sandra Cox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra Cox said...

I oftentimes find verbal communication quite frustrating.