Sunday, November 23, 2008

I Found It!


The tavern was originally established in 1823 by Jacob Hartman who was blinded in an accident as a child, thus the name Blind Hartman. Located at the bottom of a hill, it was not only a spot for travellers to seek refuge before venturing on, there was also a mountain spring with a trough for watering their horses. Clever man that Blind Hartman, wasn't he? [Note: If you're not local I should tell you the hill beyond this location is very, very steep. I can't imagine tackling it on a horse. It's bad enough in a car.]

The tavern has had many owners over the years. My earliest memories are of it as Les & Josie's. At that time it was very dimly lit inside so I can't tell you much about how it looked. I don't remember much about the food either other than it was a dress up place we went rarely when I was a small child. I do remember having Shirley Temples with dinner.

Many years ago I was there as a stop on a hayride. Don't remember the name but at the time it had become a true dive. The group I was with was hay covered and dusty but I think we were better than the regulars. Of course that was one of the last stops and much alcohol had been consumed, strictly for the purpose of staying warm, so perhaps I'm not remembering it correctly.

I was there once more recently, about ten years ago when it was then called Jack and Snook's and, putting it nicely, it was awful. The food was bad and the decor was, um, musty?

So when remodeling began again last spring I was skepical at best. It took a long time. The outside renovations were extensive and, I have to admit, impressive. A few weeks ago, when Riley and family suggested we try Blind Hartman's I thought okay, why not? Once won't hurt, right? We walked in and wow! The inside is completely redone. From the side we parked on you enter through the bar. It's gorgeous! High ceiling, well-lit but soft, not bright. Warm and friendly. The staff greeted us as soon as we were inside and gave us the choice of bar or dining room, either of which would have been fine.

The dining room is again wide-open, bright and warm with a floor to ceiling operating fireplace which made it so cozy. When I was there Friday with my mom I discovered that the Skip Moyer Jazz Trio performs on Wednesday evenings. If you're not familiar with them let me tell you they're a local treat you won't want to miss. We also learned that the attached barn is being renovated into a banquet hall and will be available for private parties. I'm sure it will be just as inviting as the rest of the tavern once it is finished.

I can't tell you what a pleasant surprise Blind Hartman's Tavern is. The place itself is pretty, with an area for everyone. Oh, there's also a patio out back which will be extremely nice on spring and fall evenings. The waitstaff is friendly, courteous, and efficint. And the food, well the food is absolutely yummy! Full entrees, sandwiches including bar-carved prime rib or ham, and a variety of salads. My only complaint when we were there for dinner was that there was no red salad dressing. You know, no thousand island, french, russain, that sort of thing. I ask Friday and it's already been added. How's that for service? Sorry, can't tell you about dessert other than they have them on the menu. We were all too full to sample anything.

I think the best thing of all is that this is the kind of place I can wander off to alone if I decide to go out on the spur of the moment. There aren't a lot of places around here I can say that about that are more than diners and I really like that, especially now that I know there's excellet jazz on Wednesday nights.

If you're in the area and looking for a place to eat I highly recommend Blind Hartman's Tavern. It's located on Rt 12 heading towards Pricetown on the left not far after the bypass ends. Of course you can always give me a call. I'd be happy to join you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a neat place to check out if I get up to that area.

Unknown said...

I think the most interesting thing is you went on a hayride. Do people actually go that? Do you have to wear gingham?

Regina Carlysle said...

The only way to do a Hayride effectively is with plenty of liquid refreshment. That hay is pretty uncomfortable.

The restaurant sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Steve Hager, I had the opportunity to visit this place recently. Great place, top notch bartending staff, food was good for what thay are doing. Nice little find with amazing potential